Rebecca is an author, public relations professional and freelance writer based in Providence, Rhode Island. An experienced strategic communications professional and journalist, she is a detail-oriented relationship builder whose strengths lie in creating compelling content for optimal engagement.
Rebecca has more than 15 years of progressive experience journalism and public relations, including in media relations, writing, editing, research, reporting, interviewing and copyediting. Author of “100 Things to Do in Providence Before You Die” (Reedy Press, 2016), “Secret Providence: A Guide to the Weird, Wonderful and Obscure” (Reedy Press, 2017) and “100 Things to Do in Providence Before You Die: Second Edition” (Reedy Press, 2018).
She is available for freelance writing assignments from regional and national publications.
Areas of Expertise
- Social media marketing
- Media relations
- Marketing plans
- Press releases
- News writing
- Feature writing
- AP style
Meals on Wheels of Rhode Island—September 2017-Present
Development & Public Relations Specialist
- Cultivate mid-level donors through “moves management” approach to increase year-over-year individual giving by $10,000.00.
- Develop and execute social media strategy to build brand visibility and awareness as well as stakeholder engagement across Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.
- Generate brand collateral, including press releases, social media content, fundraising campaign appeal and thank-you letters, organization newsletter and website content.
- Manage media communications for annual “March for Meals” fundraising and awareness campaign.
- Manage annual “Buy A Wheel” retail fundraiser.
Havas PR, Providence RI—December 2015-July 2016
Account Supervisor, Editorial
- Creative content/copy lead for the Providence office of international public relations firm.
- Ensured consistency and synergy across multiple media channels.
- Wrote and produced Rhode Island economic development campaign video that aired to 300,000 travelers on American Airlines.
- Led editorial on revamping of social media marketing for Rhode Island tourism accounts that substantially increased engagement (895 percent, Facebook) and following (189 percent, Facebook; 247 percent, Instagram; and 134 percent, Twitter).
- Judged Leadership Rhode Island ‘Shark Tank’ mock business-pitching competition.
- Assisted in media relations and account reporting.
Rhode Island College Providence, RI—May 2013-May 2015
Writer/Editor, Office of College Communications and Marketing
- Implemented marketing strategies to promote college initiatives, academics, programs, faculty and students.
- Developed content for college’s social media channels and tracked social media campaign success.
- Generated collateral materials for college promotion, including press releases, opportunities for coverage, feature stories for bi-annual alumni magazine and news stories for college website.
- Prepared faculty and staff for media interviews.
- Assisted in departmental strategic planning.
Providence Business News Providence, RI—March 2012-May 2013
- Developed news and feature stories for weekly trade publication covering the greater Providence, RI business industry, focusing on higher education, nonprofits, workforce development and hospitality and tourism.
- Wrote weekly nonprofit e-newsletter.
USAE News Bethesda, MD—June 2010-March 2012
- Wrote news and feature stories for weekly trade publication covering the meetings and convention industry.
- Edited bi-weekly e-mail newsletter.
- Designed and paginated glossy newspaper on rotating basis.
- Represented publication at industry trade shows for onsite publication across the United States.
The Sun Chronicle Newspaper Attleboro, MA—January 2005-January 2009
Staff Writer and Editor
- Developed news and feature stories for daily newspaper, concentrating on in-depth coverage of community issues.
- From 2006-2009 wrote feature content for daily print edition, Sunday ‘Living Well’ section and award-winning entertainment section, including popular 50/50 travel series.
- From 2007-2009 assisted in layout design for daily print edition and edited and designed wire news section for daily edition.
- Covered Boston and Providence area theater scene.
- Wrote first-person features and contributed to newspaper’s ‘Life 101’ column.
Bulletin Newspapers West Roxbury, MA—October 2002-December 2004
- Developed news and feature stories for newspaper group, concentrating on town government, schools and community interests.
- Wrote editorials.
- Copyedited stories for five chain newspapers.
Master of Arts in Strategic Communication, American University, Washington, D.C.
Bachelor of Arts in Communication, American University, Washington, D.C.
PVD Lady Project
Past member, The National Press Club and American News Women’s Club