Rebecca is an author and freelance writer based in Providence, Rhode Island. An experienced strategic communications professional and journalist, she is a detail-oriented relationship builder whose strengths lie in writing, editing and creating content for successful marketing.
Accomplished journalist, author and public relations professional
Summary of Qualifications
More than 10 years of journalism and public relations experience in media relations, writing, editing, research, reporting, interviewing and copyediting. Author of “100 Things to Do in Providence Before You Die” (Reedy Press, 2016) and “Secret Providence: A Guide to the Weird, Wonderful and Obscure” (Reedy Press, 2017).
Areas of Expertise
- Social media marketing
- Media relations
- Marketing plans
- Press releases
- News writing
- Feature writing
- AP style
Havas PR, Providence RI December 2015-July 2016
Account Supervisor, Editorial
Serve as creative content/copy lead for the Providence office of international public relations firm. Assist in media relations and accounting reporting.
Rhode Island College Providence, RI May 2013-May 2015
Writer/Editor, Office of College Communications and Marketing
- Implemented marketing strategies to promote college initiatives, academics, programs, faculty and students.
- Developed content for college’s social media channels and tracked social media campaign success.
- Generated collateral materials for college promotion, including press releases, opportunities for coverage, feature stories for bi-annual alumni magazine and news stories for college website.
- Prepared faculty and staff for media interviews.
- Assisted in departmental strategic planning.
Providence Business News Providence, RI March 2012-May 2013
- Developed news and feature stories for weekly trade publication covering the greater Providence, RI business industry, focusing on higher education, nonprofits, workforce development and hospitality and tourism.
- Wrote weekly nonprofit e-newsletter.
USAE News Bethesda, MD June 2010-March 2012
- Wrote news and feature stories for weekly trade publication covering the meetings and convention industry.
- Edited bi-weekly e-mail newsletter.
- Designed and paginated glossy newspaper on rotating basis.
- Represented publication at industry trade shows for onsite publication across the United States.
The Sun Chronicle Newspaper Attleboro, MA January 2005-January 2009
Staff Writer and Editor
- Developed news and feature stories for daily newspaper, concentrating on in-depth coverage of community issues.
- From 2006-2009 wrote feature content for daily print edition, Sunday ‘Living Well’ section and award-winning entertainment section, including popular 50/50 travel series.
- From 2007-2009 assisted in layout design for daily print edition and edited and designed wire news section for daily edition.
- Covered Boston and Providence area theater scene.
- Wrote first-person features and contributed to newspaper’s ‘Life 101’ column.
Bulletin Newspapers West Roxbury, MA October 2002-December 2004
- Developed news and feature stories for newspaper group, concentrating on town government, schools and community interests.
- Wrote editorials.
- Copyedited stories for five chain newspapers.
Master of Arts in Strategic Communication, American University, Washington, D.C. Expected Fall 2016
Bachelor of Arts in Communication, American University, Washington, D.C. 2001 Minor in History
PVD Lady Project
Past member, The National Press Club and American News Women’s Club